Article (20) of the Supervision of Cooperative Insurance Companies Law issued by Royal Decree No. (M/32) dated (02/06/1424H), as amended by Royal Decree No. (M/30) dated (27/05/1434H), stipulated the establishment of the Primary Committees for resolution of insurance disputes and violations, their tenure of membership and jurisdiction.
Primary committees shall be formed upon a ministerial resolution and shall be composed of three specialized members, working full-time if possible, one of whom is a legal adviser for a tenure of three renewable years.
• Riyadh Primary Committee.
• Jeddah Primary Committee.
• Dammam Primary Committee.
• Disputes arising from insurance policies.
• Disputes between insurance companies and reinsurance companies or insurance service providers.
• Violations of the regulatory and supervisory instructions of insurance and/or reinsurance companies.
• Violations committed by insurance service providers.
• Violations arising from implementation of the law.
• In the event a violation involves a crime, the Committee forwards it to the Bureau of Investigation and Public Prosecution. If it is considered non-criminal by the Bureau, the case will be returned to the Committee for consideration and for taking the necessary action.
Pursuant to the Ministerial Resolution No. (1648) dated (27/05/1436H), the territorial jurisdiction of Primary Committees shall be as follows:
-Riyadh Primary Committee: It has jurisdiction over disputes and violations occurring in regions of Riyadh, Al-Qassim, Northern Borders, Ha'il and Al-Jouf.
-Jeddah Primary Committee: It has jurisdiction over disputes and violations occurring in regions of Makkah, Madina, Jazan, Asir, Al-Baha, Najran and Tabuk.
-Dammam Primary Committee: It has jurisdiction over disputes and violations occurring in the Eastern Region.